Sustainability & viability
"A sustainable and viable future for journalism – designing effective interventions" 9 February 2022 at the Global Conference for Media Freedom in Tallinn, Estonia.
Meeting report from the GFMD panel on a sustainable and viable future journalism at the Global Conference for Media Freedom held in Tallinn, Estonia on February 9, 2022 and organised by the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Institute of Human Rights.
The first panel of the Global Conference for Media Freedom in Tallinn, Estonia, invited different speakers from across the media development sector, practitioners and representatives of independent media organisations, to speak about how media sustainability and viability can be achieved. Participants spoke about the importance of it, but also about its complexity and the many layers that the media development sector must consider when seeking sustainability. It was also recognized how media sustainability is a fundamental pillar of democracy and freedom of expression around the world, as well as human rights protections and guarantees.
- 78 attendees* took part in both GFMD IMPACT sessions (43 attended in person and 35 online).
- 45 representatives of international, regional and national media assistance organisations
- 14 representatives of donor organisations
- 9 representatives of the two co-convening organisations
- 7 academia and research
- 1 expert, 1 civil society organisation representative and 1 think thank representative
*68 excluding the organisers